Payments Abroad

Managing an international program often involves making payments to international vendors or foreign nationals, sometimes by different modes than those commonly used in the U.S.

In addition, we can work with you to understand and comply with local regulations on vendor payments, and to advise on foreign currency control and local banking regulations when wiring money. If cash is needed abroad, we can assist you to devise a plan for accessing cash in a foreign country.

Payment to international vendors

The MIT Travel Card is preferred for all purchases while traveling abroad, including airfare and train tickets, hotel, conference registration fees, meals, and other business expenses. Check with your program administrator or cardholder agreement prior to departure for limits on amounts and types of transactions. If you are traveling in a country or region where infrastructure will make the use of a corporate credit card difficult, please contact the VPF Travel and Card Services Office at least two weeks prior to departure to make alternate payment arrangements.

For MIT programs that need to procure materials and services from an international vendor that are unrelated to foreign travel, the MIT Procurement Card (ProCard) is the preferred method of payment for small dollar amounts. ProCard functions as a personal credit card for MIT purchases wherever Visa is accepted by an international vendor.

MIT frequently pays foreign vendors by wire transfer as well. VPF Accounts Payable processes international wire payments in multiple currencies.  For the process of payments to vendors by international wire transfer, visit the “Buying and Paying” section of the VPF Global Support website.

Payments to foreign nationals

Taxable payments to non-U.S. citizens, such as human subjects, honoraria, and student prizes or awards, can be processed via the online RFP sytem in Atlas. If a wire is needed for the payment, please use a paper Request for Payment Form. Please remember that taxable payments to non-U.S. citizens are subject to 30% withholding by the U.S. Government.